Underwater Navigation Course
Demonstrating the skill to navigate accurately underwater will make you the diver everyone trusts to follow on an excursion. The ODA Scuba Store underwater navigator course teaches divers how to accurately use an underwater compass, methods for estimating distance underwater, underwater map making, techniques for marking or relocating an underwater site or submerged object from the surface. If you like challenges with big rewards, take this course and have fun finding your way around down there. No pun intended!
What You’ll Learn
There are no roads or sign posts with letters or numbers telling you where you are or where to go underwater, so learning how to implement an underwater compass will help make yours and your dive mates’ dives more enjoyable. Some of the things you’ll learn in this course are
• navigation patterns;
• natural navigation (without a compass);
• compass navigation;
• how to “mark” or relocate a submerged object or position from the surface;
• underwater map making;
• how to follow irregular courses with the Nav-Finder;
• dive site relocation; and
• how to estimate distance underwater using kick cycles.
The Fun Part
Finding your way is not a matter of luck! When everyone’s buzzing about a reef or checking out a ship-wreck, they’re having a great time – until it’s time to go. Then they turn to you to lead them back to the boat because they know you got some awesome training from the superheroes over at the ODA Scuba Store.
This course is open to all certified BSAC, CMAS, NAUI, PADI, SDI, SSI, etc. scuba divers who wish to learn more about underwater navigation and would like to earn the PADI Underwater Navigation Diver certification. Below are the prerequisites for this course:
• be at least 12 years old; and
• be a certified scuba diver.
Note: Junior certified scuba divers (aged 10 – 14) can take this course with permission from a parent.
Standard Package — $250.00
• includes three training dives from shore
Deluxe Package — $325.00
• includes one training dive from shore and two training dives from boat
Supreme Package — $400.00
• includes three training dives from boat and one dive tour from boat
• course syllabus;
• confined water training;
• four certification training dives;
• exposure suit: wetsuit;
• boots and fins;
• Buoyancy Compensation Device (BCD);
• regulators, submersible pressure and depth gauges;
• scuba tanks; and
• ballast: lead weights.
Does not include
• Personal Gear: mask, snorkel, fins;
• underwater compass;
• underwater slate; and
• academic materials.
When you sign up for the PADI Underwater Navigator course you need to purchase the PADI U/W Navigator Crew Pak $91.60. This set comes complete with PADI’s U/W Navigator manual and DVD, available at Oahu Diving Association.
Your Next Adventure
Once you complete the Navigation specialty course, why not try another specialty course like Nitrox Diver or Fish I.D.? Each specialty you do can be used towards earning the coveted Master Diver rating.